The best first treatment for hip and knee osteoarthritis
Have issues with sore knees or hips? Osteoarthritis is a condition that is extremely common in Australia and mostly affects people 65 years or older, but can affect people as young as 30 years old. This can be a debilitating pain disorder for some people and management of the issue can be difficult.
PhysiYoga now have a therapist trained in providing the GLA:D (Good Life with osteoArthritis from Denmark) program. Both education and exercise are strongly recommended by research for management of hip and knee osteoarthritis and this is what the GLA:D program consists of, as such GLA:D has seen very good results for those dealing with this issue.
Some statistics from research in participants that completed the GLA:D program:
- 35-42% average pain reduction
- 17-29% of participants reduced their medication usage
- 38-39% improvement in joint-related quality of life.
The GLA:D Australia program consists of:
- An initial appointment to explore the program, check your current capabilities and check if you are eligible for the program
- Two to three education sessions to teach you all about OA, its risk factors, treatment options and self-management strategies.
- Group exercise sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve control of the joint, your confidence and your strength
- A review session at 3 months to review goals and progress through the program
Who isn’t eligible for the GLA:D program?
- People with other reasons for joint pain- tumor, inflammatory joint disease, results of leg fracture or soft tissue/connective tissue problems.
- People who have other symptoms that are more pronounced than osteoarthritis such as fibromyalgia
- People who cannot understand English
Enrollment is open for our upcoming GLA:D program. If you or anyone you know is interested, contact us via phone or email to register your interest on 8536 8558 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for our upcoming program.